Another couple of portrait courses done with Andrew James and smiles all around. Most importantly Andrew is looking forward to it again next year. If you’re interested register on the course page and I’ll let you know the timings when the venue schedule is available in the Spring.
This is now the fifth course I’ve attended (and organised) and I think progress is being made, portraiture is still the most maddening strand of art though.
Here’s a run through of what happened on the courses…
We started off with some charcoal sketching followed by a quick demo by Andrew. Here’s his sketch.
Here’s my longer sketch, 1 hour I think.
Day 1 was completed with a monochrome oil painting. This was probably my least satisfying painting, I underpainted using a turpsy wash that didn’t dry before trying to apply the thicker paint on top.
Day 2 started with a demo oil painting by Andrew.
We spent some time sketching and working out compositions in charcoal before blocking in.
Here’s my work at the end of day 2.
I found the 3rd day frustrating, battling with likeness but ended up with this at the end of the course.
The following week I tweaked the portrait, very little time was spent and very little paint was applied but the tweaks brought out the likeness more by modelling the chin more simply. Oh and I tried Joanna in a fancy frame! (Excuse the carpet).
Here’s a shot of other people’s work in progress on day 3.
I (and another attendee) were lucky enough to do two back to back courses complete with new models.
Here are my sketches from the first day.
As I’d done the monochrome painting earlier in the week, I did a limited palette exercise using the zorn palette (only red, yell ochre, black and white).
Again day 2 started with a demo. This time Andrew tried a more conventional planned approach instead of his usual magic. The results was a more prosaic portrait but as a bonus we saw the pain he went to to complete an eye, it wasn’t just bravura brush marks. He doesn’t seem this bald usually, apologies for the angle Andrew.
Here’s some of the student work in progress.
Here’s mine after the 3rd day
I’d used large brushes for the initial block in and tried to work with them for as long as possible. Andrew made a good point that the machined finish of the board isn’t as pleasing as a canvas would have been.
When I got home. I did some further tweaking to the eyes and lips which I think brought out the likeness and removed the unflattering and untrue goggle eyed effect.
I hope you found this interesting and if you feel up to the challenge next year let me know.